Posted in My Makes, Sewing

Colette Sorbetto, Hack Version

Free is tempting word.

Having signed up to the Colette website with their download guides in hemming I also found a free pattern for a top

https://www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/sorbetto

I didn’t like the look of the central panel at the front so when I saw this hack version https://blog.colettehq.com/tutorials/make-a-modern-sorbetto
I decided this was the one I wanted to make.

New techniques/skills
– using a digital print pattern
– bias binding
– hacking a pattern (with instructions)

What I need to work on
– rolled hem
– thinking about size/fitting (even on loose garments)

The free print out pattern, prints onto A4 and needs a lot of careful cutting out and sticking together.

This made me feel it is very much worth paying for a pattern on large paper.  So much time and effort just to get to the stage you would otherwise be at by opening an envelope.

(since painstaking cutting round all 4 edges of the square and carefully sticking them all together I have since read that most people only cut 2 sides (e.g. right & bottom) and then stick their pages together)

Once I had the pattern put together I decided I would not want to do that again so copied out the pattern onto tracing paper to hack.

I chose not to add the pocket, I thought I’d like it better without, plus my material has pattern and would need some careful pattern matching, it isn’t a pocket I would use so I left if off.

As per the instructions I added a line of stay stitching round the neckline as soon as soon as I had cut my material.  Even though I was  sewing cotton I was feeling quite concerned about getting this right as I didn’t want to stretch or misshape my neckline.

This top was my first attempt at adding bias binding.  I purchased pre-made bias binding to make my life easier and after watching several youtube videos to get the idea of what I was supposed to do I was rather pleased with the results.

I used my favorite french seams for the sides and shoulders.

The curved bottom of the top was probably the trickiest challenge.  Although my sewing machine does have a rolled hem presser foot but have in now way have a clue how to use it.  Instead I used a combination of ironing, pinning and straight stitching.  Which sort of worked.  If you look carefully you can see how the edging is a bit uneven and how in a few places I have lost the gentle curve where I have tried to tuck/fold/change direction suddenly.

However my final conclusion is this top is wearable.


There does seem to be more material than necessary at the bottom and it would continue to be wearable even if I was quite pregnant.

I think if I was to make this exact top again I would go for a more drapy fabric or take it in a little at the bottom.

Advertisements

One thought on “Colette Sorbetto, Hack Version

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s