After a wait of a couple of months it was finally time for my new sewing class.
As predicted being a beginner/intermediate class the other candidates all seem to know what they are doing and are getting on with complicated sewing projects.
There are a few other newbies in the class but most are continuing from a previous term.
I am enjoying garment making in a room with other people and having an instructor who I can call on when I get stuck.
My main work/learning points from each class have been
Week 1 – Intro and measuring ourselves
Week 2 -Was bring your project to get started – My first project is Box Pleat Skirt from my Sewing Bee book. During the class I made a tracing pattern for my skirt including lengthening it.
Week 3 -I cut out my fabric including taylor tacks for my box pleats. Well I used taylor tacks on the box pleats at the back but cheated on the front and just used my fabric pen.
Week 4 -Box Pleat Skirt was put on hold because I to make our Halloween costumes.
Week 5 -Box Pleat Skirt still on hold. Carried on with Halloween costume. Then when I got home I unpicked everything and decided to start over.
Half Term Break – I spent part of the evening (and part of last weekend) continuing with my Haloween costumes and then rushed to get them finished on the day of the party. See them here.
Week 6 – Back to my Box Pleat Skirt, I sewed up my box pleats -(not the original design but I like the look better). I also managed to accidentally pull out some of my tailors tacks from a few weeks back whilst figuring out what to do, which really just re-affirmed to me that I do better with my trusty marker pen.
**Also found out lots of new people had booked onto the next round of classes in the new year so quickly got myself booked back on before the places ran out***
Week 7 – Box Pleat skirt is taking shape, I had sewed up the sides, added the zip and attached the waist band at home. I sewed up the waistband and asked how I should do the hem, which included a quick lesson on blind hemming with the sewing machine. – I decided I would do this at home with time and my own iron. See my finished skirt here.
I then moved on to starting to stick my PJ pants pattern together, I had 24 A4 pieces of paper to stick together so took over two additional desks.
Week 8 -New Project – Sewing Machine Bag.
I drew what I wanted from my sewing machine bag, took some measurements, added them to my drawing then drew out a layout plan.
Week 9 – I measured drew out my pattern, and cut out my fabric, in preparation for sewing up and bagging out.
Week 10 – Having sewed my 3 layers together in class I added a second layer of stitches for strength and then pulled through my material so the outsides were on the outside. I then added a another layer of stitches round the edge to hold everything in place. I hand sewed the gap i left for bagging out & went home to have a think.
Week 11 – Having ordered my handle strap webbing, & then some plastic that I though would be good to put in the bottom of the bag to give some strength and rigidity. I went to class to ask my teacher if she agreed I should unpick my hand sewing, sew a channel for the plastic and slip it in before sewing up again. She recommended I didn’t and just covered the plastic in material and placed in the bottom of the bag. I started pinning my straps to my bag (will be easier to sew whilst material is still flat and not bag shaped, as will my front outside pouch pockets. (Link to bag post will follow when finished)
In our sub group of newbies as well as our individual projects we are being talked through/occasionally helping with a teacher sewing project.
Week 1 – Picking pattern, identifying sizes etc
Week 2 – Taylor tacks, pinning pattern and cutting out fabric
Week 3 – Why make a toile?
Look at the toile the teacher made and identify adjustments/changes to be made.
Week 4 – No extra lesson
Week 5 – Sewing a Zip, standard sip (no lapped, not invisible) technique was to have where the zip was to go tacked together then sew in the zip and unpick – worked really well.
Week 6 – Sewing round a curve, using (and how to make a homemade) a seam allowance measuring tool.
Week 7 – Thread for sewing machines. We looked at and tested various threads people had resigning many to, could you for tacking/bin. However I was pleased that my vintage gray thread passed the strain/snap test, so I could carry on using it.
I also had a quick lesson on blind hemming
Week 8 – Sugar bagging – individual lesson, learning what it was and how easily it can be done.
Week 9 – No extra lesson
Week 10 – Working with pattern fabric, our example for discussion was check fabric and skirt pattern
Week 11 – We had 1 to 1 for our end of term review, which went fine, I passed and will be back next term.
And that is was it, I’m booked in for Term 2 starting in the New Year, and I’ve been told I can use my blog as my reflective journal for my course next term 🙂