Oops! I had previously published this post but somehow managed to delete it whilst on my phone earlier today. However having found an earlier draft I think I have re-added the main points.
Its a New Year and new term for my Sewing Classes. This term I will be using my blog (specifically this post and its links) as my reflective journal for the term.
In the class there is a mix of familiar faces and new joiners. I was pleased to see that my returning course colleagues also hadn’t spend all Christmas sewing as we had planned and were also carrying on with their projects where they had left off.
Going into this term I have
- my bag to continue with
- A Tilly & The Buttons Cleo Dungaree Dress to make
- but my main aim is to learn to sew knits
which is the first of my 2017 sewing aspirations.
Here is what I got up to:
Intro week, we kicked off with ice breakers, ran through some notices and then I went back to my bag. My teacher told me a different way to connect the straps at the bottom of the bag, which I took a couple of less than successful attempts at.
We started out with some more paperwork , signing our learning agreements for the term.
I made a start on my Toaster sweater taking advantage of the big high tables I cut out my pattern pieces. I had a little time at the end of class so started sticking together my pdf pattern for my Sew Over It Cowl Neck Dress.
As I had completed my Toaster Sweater at home and finished sticking together my pdf pattern for the Sew Over It Cowl Neck Dress.
I turned up in my Toaster Sweater to show everyone and spent the evening cutting out my paper pattern then laying it out to check if I had enough of my Teal ponte left to make the dress version. I think I just do and I have some cheep jersey left so I cut out my pattern pieces out in that and will use that as a fit test again.
I was set a challenge by my teacher to think about how I could make myself some pattern cutting weights (I think everyone is sick seeing my low tech tins and jars that I keep bringing to class).
***Having been paid I’ve booked onto the summer term before it gets full***
I didn’t finish my sister’s curtains at the weekend so started the evening ironing and sewing up her second curtain.
Once that was done i continued working on my my test version Cowl Neck Dress pinning and sewing up the shoulders and side seams.
During the evening we also had a quiz (because this is an Adult Learning class it has to include literacy & numeracy) on fibers and fabric – it wasn’t scored but if it was my team would probably have won.
Week 5 & 6
I was unwell and unable to attend class 😦
With only minimal changes required I made a start on my Cowl Neck dress final version cutting out the pattern pieces in my green ponte de roma. I had just enough fabric left after my Toaster sweater to cut out all my pieces. I can’t easily tell the right and wrong sides so I marked them up in chalk to keep track of which side was the inside.
Having done some overlocking at home I stitched my front and back pieces together. Then making the main change to the order I am constructing the dress this time round I attached the twin needle and sewed up my arm cuffs whilst they were still flat and unattached.
Tonight was about attaching the arms to the main dress (with the front and back of the dress only attached at the top. This was much easier than inserting the arm and trying to balance the stretch of a circle within a circle. It also means that I will be able to sew up the side of the dress and just follow the join down the arm in one long seam. The arms went on well but I did have a few small puckers but I managed to steam them out with the iron.
I made progress on my working on my Tilly & the Buttons Cleo Dress. With great difficulty I had cut out the fabric pattern pieces at home. I started construction sewing the centre front and back seams, for making the large front and back pieces. Leaving them so I could overlock the raw edges at home I moved on to sewing up and turned over the straps.
End of term assessment – I passed phew, when you include my practice versions I have completed a good number of garments this term. When not having my one on one assessment I continued work on my T&TB Cleo by attaching the straps to the back of my dress and then cut out the interfacing for the facings.
I have achieved my main aim which was to sew knits.
I no have a better understanding of knit fabric and feel more confident using it in my sewing machine. As well as single ball point needles I have also used twin needles on my knits and I have used my overlocker for sewing knit fabric.
I have completed 2 practice pieces and an my final toaster sweater. With my Cowl neck dress nearly finished.
Since the beginning of term I have also made progress on my bag and my Cleo Dungaree Dress.
Additionally I successfully took up a pair of curtains.